A brand spanking new super special offer (last updated August 2010)
I’m offering a free critique to persons who purchase Triangulation: End of the Rainbow directly from me. These are not the one line quickie critiques we offer submitters, but a 1-2 hour detailed critique of a story up to 5,000 words. I provide overview comments on story effectiveness, structure, pacing, character development, as well as detailed comments on the manuscript (using MS Word Tracking feature where feasible).
It’s a perfect chance for you to get detailed feedback from a experienced slush pile reader and anthology editor. It’s also a good way to try out a story prior to submitting it to the anthology, though the story to be critiqued DOES NOT have to be aimed at the anthology. I will critique any story; my expertise is primarily in genre work (SF, F, Horror), though much of my output does have a literary slant.
Part of my reason for offering this is to obtain even more excellent stories for the upcoming anthology. I intend to work with writers to perfect stories that catch my eye and fit within the theme. That doesn’t guarantee acceptance (that requires at least 3 yes votes from our staff) but will surely improve the odds.
The theme this year?
Yep, you heard it here. We’re anxious to see how writers interpret this theme in a Science Fiction, Fantasy, or Horror vein. The connection need not be blatant, but if it’s obscure, you may wish to explain it in your cover letter/e-mail (please don’t summarize the story, just explain how it relates to Last Contact).
Details, because it’s always about details, right?
1. Email me at stephen.v.ramey at gmail dot com to order your copy of Triangulation: End of the Rainbow (for the excellent table of contents, see the TOC post) at cover price $13.50. This includes shipping within the US. International orders will be billed an additional fee to cover postage ($3.00 to Canada, $5.00 elsewhere).
2. Send payment via PayPal or mail (check/money order). I’ll provide appropriate addresses in my email response.
3. When you’ve got your story ready, send it via email or mail (address provided in email response). The story DOES NOT have to be aimed at the Triangulation series. If you have a particular market in mind, mention that and I’ll focus my comments accordingly.
4. I’ll send my critique, generally within a week.
5. You’ll take in all that sage advice, perfect your story, and sell it. Or maybe you’ll approach your next story a bit differently. In any case, please post your reaction to the critique (positive and negative) to this FB page.
6. This offer continues while my supply of copies lasts. Right now I have about 125 copies available.
In any case, please read the anthology. There are some really excellent stories in there, deserving of your attention. Take a moment to comment on Facebook, Twitter, at Amazon.com, BarnesAndNoble.com, etc.. Word of mouth is the key to any book’s success these days. We believe the anthology is a worthwhile endeavor or we wouldn’t volunteer hundreds of hours to its production. We’re convinced the majority of genre readers will find it worthwhile as well, but only if they hear about it, only if they read it.
Let the buzz begin, won’t you?
PARSEC, the nonprofit SF group that underwites the anthology and puts on a killer reader con (Confluence) receives all proceeds from this effort (income less cost of printing and cost of postage).